Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Seeing Red ~ could this be the fortune cookie prediction?

Red has been popping up on my radar lately...



It's been a star performer in the Humble Bungalow Garden for years...
I plant red geraniums every Spring and place them in a zinc container on the front porch.
They are planted in black pottery planters in the back yard and on the sun deck.


My fortune cookie suggested something new is on the horizon.
While I don't put a lot of stock into fortune messages I did consider what it might mean...


I perused Home Sense and this shiny red Chantal kettle caught my eye.
Could the fortune be "Project Red?"


I like the pop of red.


It goes with the Le Coq towel I purchased in the south of France.

We don't have many red things here in the bungalow.
Except


The guest room's red theme is because I fell in love with this Toile de Jouy bed linen.
It was quite expensive at the time but I didn't care...I was still working and earning good money.

Hence the red pop of colour with the pillow and red hand knitted shawl on the wicker table.
I'm not a "decorator" so I am cautious with home decor items...
I subscribe to restraint over clutter.


Bedside table in the guest room.
Clock, Kleenex, a book and two antique vessels ready for fresh flowers and chocolates.
I place several bottles of Perrier on the table as well.
I want our guests to feel comfortable and welcome.


There's an extra wool throw on the luggage stand at the foot of the bed.


Look at the adorable feet on the Herend piece!


The crude staple repair on this antique bowl persuaded me to buy it.


Pink Roses or peonies are pretty pairing with this cute vase.


Oops this turned out a wee bit blurry...it's hand painted 
made by Herend,  a Hungarian Company.



"The Art of Being a Woman
a simple guide to everyday love and laughter."
by Veronique Vienne


Original watercolour painting found at a community fund raiser on Thetis Island several years ago...
I wonder what that new "fortune predicted project" might be.
 ~ I am waiting ~

I must close for now as
my sister and I are going to take Mother out for a walk and a browse in the shops.
Perhaps there's a pair of red shoes in my future!


“Book your life choices in advance the same way you would book flights, car rentals, hotels, and excursions. Figure out early on in your career whether you intend to be financially independent or marry a rich man, join the ranks of the professional elite or be the stay-at- home type, postpone having children or find part-time employment. Then fasten your seat belt and sit tight as you watch your trajectory veer off course.” 
~ Veronique Vienne ~
The Art of Being a Woman: A Simple Guide to Everyday Love and Laughter

Hope your week is off to a great start.

23 comments:

Stephen Andrew said...

I wear a lot of red but don't use it that often elsewhere. I'm more drawn to blues, greens, and white. My "pop" color tends to be orange or pink. Though the past two years I have used a lot of Stewart tartan, which is certainly very red. Your guest room looks lovely! And how great is that stapled repair?!

No Sacrifice Bags said...

Red's my favourite colour, and I think it looks perfect in your guest room.

I hope your fortune comes true for you.

LPC said...

Such a sweet guest room:).

Madame Là-bas said...

Your guest room is lovely! I really like Toile de Jouy. I have a red throw in the den and a reddish Roman blind. It gives a "pop" to our autumn coloured rooms. The trajectory will inevitably veer off-course.

Anonymous said...

I wear mainly neutrals and my pop of color is red. I don't know why but it is interesting to ponder why we gravitate to a color. In fact yesterday I bought a small red rose plant for my laundry room. Fun to open my inbox and read your lovely post. Your guest room is so inviting.
Susan

Jeannine said...

What a pretty and unusual geranium - the red with white markings. Love the toile and the feet on that vase. Your guest room looks very comfy and restful.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

I use red...but in it's much subdued form, I love it mixed with yellow. The wallpaper in your guest room is very charming, indeed the whole room is both charming and yet comfortable. The teapot...a must buy!

Marilyn said...

What a lovely guest room. I love red in my wardrobe but for some reason have not used it in furnishings. My daughter has though in her guest room. I have Toile de Jouy patterned bedding one set in aqua another in mulberry (courtesy of Marks and Spencer).

Anonymous said...

From Margie in Toronto - Red and Turquoise are my decor accent colours and red & pink are my winter wardrobe accent colours so I love seeing all your touches of red. I love toile and have always wanted a toile bedspread so your guest room is very appealing. Just lovely.

Jim & Sonya Guthrie said...

You know how much I like a pop of red...remember my car? LOL I also have a fancying towards red shoes...hope you find yours :)

Marie-Thérèse said...

There's nothing like red to light up your life -- lipstick, shoes, coverlets, throw pillows, throw rugs and walls. That guest room is sooo inviting. It makes want to pack my bags and show up on your doorstep for a weekend retreat. I, too, have a crystal clock, books, fresh flowers and bottled water on the bedside table in my guest room. It's on the top (4th) floor, ("la chambre de bonne").

You are so gifted w/a camera. I'm all thumbs, one of which usually ends up in the shot.

Cheers, M-T

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I've seen other staple repair antique porcelain pieces and I am drawn to them...it's curious that people would repair in such an obvious way...perfect repairs are sought after these days. Do you think that we are missing something?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you Duchess!
I am not sure if I don't have more than one project on the way...life is so busy here!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Your laundry room must look wonderful with a red rose blooming in it...flowers can be so transformative.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We already had a stainless kettle but I am going to take it to our boat as this red one is much more exciting!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We used to have a "Marks and Sparks" (Spencers) shop in town...I miss it. They have such great items and the food floor was especially well stocked!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

How could I forget that luxurious vehicle? I adore red shoes...I did find a pair of Coach shoes in black...still looking for red.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

If either of us are sick I usually sleep downstairs in the guest room...it's quiet and I don't fee that we are disturbing each other.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Margie...your decorating accents sound bright and cheery...keep your eyes on Hime Sense, Winners and Marshalls...they have toile bedspreads quite frequently.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Ah a penthouse guest room sounds divine...a weekend retreat sounds like a great idea!
I love a girls weekend and it's been ages since I have indulged in one. We are busy busy in the garden getting the site ready for our green house...the weather is sunny and warm and there's not a cloud in the sky...a glorious afternoon!

Marie-Thérèse said...

Ha ha !! I wouldn't exactly call it a pent house, just the top floor.

I'm ready for that weekend retreat whenever you are. Can't wait to see the results of your glorious garden. We have been dealing with a deluge of rain and high winds for days on end on the US east coast. I'm dying for some cool, dry weather. Can't complain about the fall colors. My home backs up to woods and a lake, and the colors of the trees are just superb!! This will be a beautiful fall chez nous.

Cheers, M-T

Jill said...

There are collectors who covet pieces with staple repairs. Your bowl is charming. Staple repair may look crude but it actually required great skill and conservators today do not consider it detracts much from value. Another great find!

galant said...

Love your guest room! We have just converted a former work room into a guest bedroom (just a single bed in this case, the bed sitting room has a sofa bed) and for guests I add a small electric kettle (as in a B&B room!), tea and coffee, biscuits, bottled mineral water, tissues, a small hair dryer, cotton wool/tissues, fruit, mints, biscuits, bowl of flowers, magazines (there are already bookshelves as this was once my over-flow books' room) ... I love your red and white scheme, it's a delight!
Margaret P