Monday, January 6, 2014

While the master is away the cats will play....

The cats get a new toy on Christmas morning.
I usually find them some catnip mice or a feather wand but this year I splurged on a bigger gift.
It was so worth it because they have been amused by this new toy.
It can be folded up into a small hoop for easy storage and makes a crinkling sound when they crawl inside.


It's a Kong cat tunnel.
The ribbon is a hit too!


There is a hole in the side and when it is stood on end the cats can climb into it.


Dangling the ribbon at the end of the tunnel waiting for them to pounce.


Chester is the lion king, at least that's how he looks when he's caught his "prey."


Pepper is not as easily amused...
she is the older and more sedate of the two cats.

Have you heard the expression that dogs have owners and cats have staff?


Pepper does love her beauty rest.

Makes me want to climb into bed and hunker down under the duvet...
while the master is away and I have a new book to read.
It's freezing outside this morning, although we are not in the deep freeze that some of the provinces are experiencing and for that I am extremely grateful.
I am making a pot of split pea soup for supper so dinner is well in hand.
Do I really NEED an excuse?


I think I need a nudge...
Maybe if I just read the first chapter.

What are you reading?


13 comments:

Coulda shoulda woulda said...

I wonder I'd that would be good for puppies as well? Cats have a special knack for sure! I need to start Donna tarts new novel. Wish me luck!

Sheree said...

I love your life, Hostess. The quote is so true. My neighbor's cat is always on mouse patrol for me and I am very grateful.

Split pea soup is a great choice.

The last book I read is Tish Jett's book. Enjoy your book!

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard that phase but it's perfect, picture number three is so funny.

Susan B said...

If cats had opposable thumbs, we'd all be out living on the street! ;-) Seriously, your kitties are adorable, and it must be so entertaining watching them play with the new toy.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if this post will publish as my last three disappeared in cyber-space. This looks like a fun toy. If my cats 14 and 9 were younger they would probably love it. They usually just bat catnip toys around. I'm read The Luminaries that I received for Christmas. At over 800 pages I think I should have asked for a KOBO reader as well.
Sharon-Toronto

Pondside said...

I'm sure that your canine employer will give you an excellent personnel evaluation!
I'm still ploughing my way through Wolfe Hall (2009 Mann Booker prize winner). I have Why Men Lie waiting in the wings.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

I wonder if Miss Twiggley would have fun with this...she loves to go into bags. I got her a little battery operated mouse that runs around until it bumps into something then turns an goes the other way, she has had fun with that. With cats you never know what will appeal.

I am reading The Monuments Men, just picked it up today at the library ~ fascinating.

The Silver Bunny said...

Ooooh, the acmé of cosiness over there in the lovely bungalow... But don't show too many of those pictures, some of us have got to go to work, you know; though they are past their sell-by date, too ... You make retirement sound like Heaven; I can't afford it yet, more's the pity !!xx

Anonymous said...


Ahahahaha!
That is so true!

Jeanne Henriques said...

Leslie...love the expression "Dogs have owners and cats have staff". I grew up with cats and we catered to their every need, including ones insistence on sleeping under my sister's bed and having her litter of kittens there as well. Married life has brought dogs into our life and they are so much easier. Kind of like raising boys vs. girls.

I am reading "Open Secrets" by Alice Munro. I do not read short stories very often, but I have to say, it has been nice to sit down with the mission to read one at a time.

Sending you warm wishes from Saigon....xx

KSL said...

I'm reading The Goldfinch, which I'm loving. Glad you're warm and cozy.

materfamilias said...

I have to start reading what my students are going to be reading, but I'm trying to squeeze a few hours to finish my Elizabeth George mystery (Just One Evil Act) -- I love a big fat hardcover mystery over Christmas but didn't manage to start it in time and it's too heavy to read on my commute!

the gardener's cottage said...

that cat tube is so cute. we had a similar one many years ago for our boys though. they loved crawling through that thing. so cute!