Wednesday, January 8, 2014

OOTD ~ Shopping Downtown

Mall shopping is not my usual beat but there are some things that one cannot find in the smaller shops so every once in awhile I'll venture into one of our city malls.
I met up with Mr.HB on business recently and found myself a wee bit early so naturally I strolled through the shops...and I did get up to a bit of mischief!


Evan Picone striped black and white top
Lanvin navy white and orange silk scarf
g 21 skinny jeans
Timberland leather booties


Vintage belt


a touch of silver


sterling silver bangles
I read in a magazine that skinny bracelets are now "OUT"
Seriously?
Who makes this stuff up anyway?
I plan to continue to wear mine.
I don't need to be "IN" anyways.


Deeply discounted INC striped dress
will be a great piece for spring and summer and I tried it on with leggings and the look works.
I may look for a vibrant red leather belt to add a punch of colour.
My Hermes black and white scarf will go with this too.


I had a tiny nub left on my Chanel lipstick so I splurged and bought a new one in a brighter shade.
"Orchidee"
A bit more noticeable than the Legende that I have been using for several years.


I read a book on perfumes several months ago and have been sampling a few of the scents that I was interested in over the past couple of months to see which one would suit me.
When looking for a new fragrance you really must wear it for a few days so ask for a sample to try before buying the entire bottle.
 Mitsouko by Guerlain is quite lovely and lives up to it's name, which when translated, means mystery.
It was created in 1919 so it has been around a long time.
I don't know if it would be considered a classic like Chanel No.5 but I cannot bring myself to wear No.5 because Mother wears it.
Everywhere Mother and I go people comment on how alike we are so I really want to have my own scent!
(She is 86 and I am almost 59 so I think it must be my grey hair!)


Have you ever heard of lined leggings? 
I hadn't but these are great for our colder weather and will work well with a couple of my longer tops.
I only have two longer tops left after the wardrobe purge.
One day when I feel motivated I'll count up what I have left and write about my minimalist wardrobe.



I like the zipper detail on the INC tunic/dress.

Look what arrived in the post today!


She recently celebrated a year of blogging and gave away some Hermes leather charms.


Thank you Naomi!
I have a wee teapot which is perfect for me because I love tea so very much!

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the world earth revolves
 ~ slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future."
 ~ Thich Nat Hahn ~



37 comments:

Anonymous said...

That perfume bottle is very beautiful, such a classic perfume, very glamorous and heady.
Fleece lined leggings, sound wonderful but do they make legs look like sausages? I wear my fleece hoody indoors in winter, it's so cosy.

Coulda shoulda woulda said...

Yay! Am so glag it has arrived!

I used to use mitsouko bc people rarely wear it and I love it I don't know why it's not more popular tho?

Madame Là-bas said...

I love scent and I stopped wearing it because so many places are scent-free. I wonder:humans have been using perfume for thousands of years …only now are so many people sensitive to it.
Mitsouko is a lovely scent that I'm sure that you will enjoy wearing.

The Silver Bunny said...

Well, it is exactly the way I drink my tea. I never have it at school for example because I need to savour it and have plenty of time too ! I love all the Guerlain perfumes and I've been wearing many of them over the years. Mitsouko, I've worn many times, its peppery quality is very special; Jardins de Bagatelle is also particular. All those scents always remind me of the persons who wear them. As for me, I have no sense of loyalty to perfume; I change all the time. X

KSL said...

In my college years and a few years beyond, Mitsouko was my "seduction" perfume. I couldn't afford the regular, so I bought the tiny bath oil in glass tubes and used that! You've made me want to go to a store and test it again.

Kristien62 said...

Such a lovely quote from Thich Nat Hahn. I used to do crewel embroidery and would love that on a piece for my kitchen. That is also a handiwork that "has gone out of fashion."

materfamilias said...

Your purchases all fit very well in your wardrobe -- you have such a clear and well-honed sense of personal style. Nice to get some treats in the post-Christmas sales, especially when you were so good, budget-wise, before. . .

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog!! You are such an inspiration! I just discovered fleece lined leggings and tights. I LOVE them. They add warmth without the bulk and nice lined tights look great with winter dresses.

Judith said...

HB gave me a Tom Ford scent for Christmas that I had hankered after.Chanel lipsticks are the best!

Lorrie said...

I do love that INC dress/tunic. Great find. Asking for a sample size of perfume is a great idea. I love wearing it, but so many people seem to have issues with scent these days.

LPC said...

I've been thinking about those Timberland boots ever since you showed them here. Highly tempted.

Deborah Montgomery said...

If it's the same perfume book I read, it turned out to be an expensive read! I bought quite a few perfumes after reading the reviews! Love the idea of wearing a vintage perfume. I do like Mitsouko, but still on the lookout for one that's perfect for me.

Love the deals you scored. Very French, with the striped top and Lanvin scarf.

About Last Weekend said...

Mall shopping not my beat either, but you've got a good haul there. Lined leggings are a good idea, most of the ones I've tried on are way to thin. Love your striped top!

Pondside said...

You are doing so well with your minimizing and simplifying. I need to take a page from your book!

Anonymous said...

What did you think of the latest Helen Fielding story? It was different, I thought it was a fun read, but I preferred her earlier books.

I would like to see your simplified wardrobe. I am attempting to minimize, but it's more in theory than in practice.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

These ones are flattering and cozy, not too thick and definitely no sausages!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I hope that it will not be too difficult finding more when my bottle is empty...

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I could never wear scent to school but now that I retired I can wear it!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Kathy...it will be fun thinking of you wearing Mitsouko while knitting the big blocks baby blanket! We may be miles apart geographically but we have some things in common :-)

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I'm wearing mine today too and they are sumptuous and fit well not baggy or bulky.
Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I know several women who do crewel work. It is a soothing hobby...not unlike knitting.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I haver only two scents at any given time and have been loyal to the Hermes scent for many years but wanted something a bit more dramatic and Mitsouko has this quality which I am loving.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The tunic/dress was a bargain so I could not pass it up...the others were all full price items and it helped that I had a $60 gift card!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I agree Judith/Ida, Chanel lipsticks are luxe...I love the weight and design of the tube and the array of colours that they have available.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Scent can be "lightened up" by sprtizing it and then walking through it.
If memory serves I think you work in the school system and they frown on wearing scent of any kind as it triggers so many negative reactions. The cats here don't mind if I wear it daily!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

They are super for walking comfort...you won't be disappointed!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I made a short list of under 10 perfumes to try and I didn't get to the end of my list before falling for Mitsouko! Good luck hunting for your scent.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I am still reading the novel and so I will have to reserve judgement until I finish it...will get a wardrobe post ready as soon as I can!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

These are not too thin but they are not meant for minus temperatures...Lands' End have those on their website. These are perfect for our climate here in the Pacific Northwest...

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

It does feel good to whittle down the wardrobe now that my size and lifestyle have changed...when you retire you might find it a good time to explore minimizing your closet.

Anonymous said...

Where do you buy them in Victoria? I need a pair!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Nicholas Randall on Oak Bay Avenue. They have them in black and grey. Hope you like them!

Anonymous said...

Thank you-within walking distance of my house!

Anonymous said...

Oh my those leggigs are divine! I was worried they would not fit my muscular legs but they do! Of course I had to buy them-and a pair for my daughter in Toronto. Not sure how to wear them in public...which brings me to another fashion source question (It is wonderful to read a blog set in our little city!) are the Timerland boots available here? I was thinking maybe Ingledews?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Nicholas Randall is a gem of a shop...love that they sell some basics that we all love to wear. Perhaps you'll send me anemail and introduce yourself so that you are no longer "anonymous." The Timberland boots were purchased at the shoe shop on the corner of Government and Yates Streets...forget the name.

Jo-Anne said...

Where did you find the leggings? They are exactly what I need! :)

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I found them at Nicholas Randall on Oak Bay Avenue. C'est Moi leggings might be available online...if not I am sure that other companies must make them over on your side of the pond.