Monday, January 20, 2014

Loot shoot ~ post # 962 ~ January 2014.


First of all I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all those who commented on the previous post.
I felt a wee bit vulnerable sharing something so very personal and my finger hovered over the publish button for a few minutes before deciding that I had the courage to share something that was at the time rather personal and painful.

It's not what my audience always wants to read but after all this blog is my space to say whatever is on my mind.
I waiver between the serious and the silly and often times things get muddied when I sit down to write.

I'll start out with an idea and things go sideways and I'm off on another tangent before the second sentence has been typed.
Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and I hope that you know just how grateful I am for your comments and thoughts.
~ ~ ~


Mother and I had lunch at a little bistro in James Bay before taking her bags of clothes to the WIN Thrift Shop.
WIN is a wonderful shop ~ Women In Need helps women who are down on their luck get back on their feet.
I think it's a WIN WIN donating to this agency and the quality of their boutique stock is not a secret so you see some very well heeled gals shopping there.

If you have been reading my blog for awhile you may recall that Mother loves dressing up and she regularly buys clothes. It is a bit of an obsession with her but it's the nicest possible hobby for an elderly widow.
It gets out of her condo, satisfies her urge to keep up with fashion and browsing the shops keeps her moving.
I'm just so grateful that she still takes pride in her appearance.

I've been told that one of the early signs of dementia is when seniors lose interest in their personal hygiene and don't bother or take the effort to dress in clean clothes. My sister and I have noticed a few spots on her things which is worrisome but when we point it out to her she immediately changes her outfit. Personally I suspect it may  be her eyesight...that and the fact that she has dreadful lighting in her condo. There are only a few overhead lights and so with table and bridge lamps it makes for a dim view of things.

Mother keeps her things for a long time, so long that they come back into fashion long after they have gone out.
She's been observing my recent wardrobe closet de clutter and has decided that it is time to make more room in her closets.
So she phoned me up to suggest that we go together...plus the bags were large and cumbersome and I think she thought they might be too awkward for her on her own.

So after lunch we went in to drop the bags off and you might guess what happened.
We found some bargains!
Mother got two lovely blouses and I bought a wool and cashmere jacket and a cashmere sweater!


Fitted and flattering Nygaard wool and cashmere jacket.
I don't own a single jacket so this will fill a void.
It is short and will be paired with my jeans and trousers.
I could also wear it with my dressy short black skirt.
Brown would not be my first choice but the sumptuous fabric, fabulous fit and teeny price tag convinced me.


Raw silk scarf
turquoise and rust brown.


This can unite the blues of the jeans with the brown of the jacket.



Long and lean Lord and Taylor cashmere cardigan.
In grey so how could I refuse?
I'll be cozy and warm wearing this with my skinny jeans.

 I came home with a couple of great bargains that were completely unexpected.
Both fill in gaps in my current wardrobe so there is not even a twinge of guilt.
The best part of all is that these pieces were purchased for under $50.
My idea of FUN... 
Recycling with Benefits!


The Secret History by Donna Tartt is absolutely riveting...
I just love a book that I cannot put down.
(the subject matter is dark but the writing is superb)

What's on your bedside table?




30 comments:

Sydney Shop Girl said...

You are a recycling with benefits legend, Hostess!

SSG xxx

frugalscholar said...

The more you donate, the more you find. It's the rule of thrift stores!

Pondside said...

Another day of fun and finds!
On my bedside table? The Painted Girls. I'm not sure about it - it's not capturing my attention as I thought it would.

Madame Là-bas said...

I'm reading The Postmistress and I am really not engaged with it. I always like to give books a chance but this reading this one seems like an effort rather than a pleasure.

Anonymous said...

It's a pleasure to visit your blog hostess and we can't always blog what people might want to read, we also have to be true to ourselves.
Funny, I've been noticing marks on mum's clothes too which is so out of character for her, she has started to get a little muddled recently too, I'm seeing quite a change in the last 18 months or so, she struggles to find words now which is so unlike her. Also, she is losing her hair which is so upsetting, ageing is hard.

Anonymous said...

Caught the comment about your Mom's poor lighting at her condo. My folks had the same problem with their kitchen track-lighting and we replaced the bulbs with the new LED light bulbs (with advice from a helpful hardware store clerk) and what a huge difference! Plus they are suppose to use less electricity (less wattage) and last much longer.
Carol O.

Kristien62 said...

I looked and looked, but could not find my copy of Simple Abundance. So I splurged and bought a copy for my Nook. I'm going to suggest to my book club that we read it each month in addition to our regular fare and discuss it at our meeting. I think I might even splurge on the workbook, but I will want to look at it first.

I can't wait to read Sue Monk Kidd's, The Invention of Wings, since I loved The Secret Lift of Bees. Will report back on it when I finish.

Kristien62 said...

Sorry, the was, The Secret LIFE of Bees. My typing leaves much to be desired.

KSL said...

Great finds - I love the jacket. One of the best parts of your blog, is that it's not predictable, so I always look forward to reading it. I'm currently reading The Goldfinch and loving it.

Susan ~ Southern Fascinations said...

What a lovely way to spend time with your mother! The brown jacket is quite a find. Just think of all the lovely colors in nature that lift up the brown of the earth and the trees. You will brighten that jacket in many ways! Nothing newly published of interest on my beside table. Would you believe... I grabbed a free copy of Pride and Prejudice from the itunes store and am rereading on my ipad? It is just as lovely the umpteenth time around! Smiles...Susan

Duchesse said...

I think it's wonderful that your mother is donating. And call her "bit of an obsession" "the nicest possible hobby for an elderly widow" made me really think; I realize your endorsement of her buying what she does not need is a reflection of your love and acceptance, and I'm wondering if there are other ways for her to get out and move, as well as obsessive shopping.

Brenda said...

Love the jacket and scarf combo! You always find such great items when thrifting. I don't seem to have much luck. I'm listening to the Goldfinch and totally enjoying it. The narration is wonderful. It is such a large book I don't think I would have tackled reading it in hardcover.

Poppy Q said...

I am doing a declutter as I have to move in 10 days. It was embarrassing how many clothes I donated to the Hospice shop. They would have had enough to open a whole new shop!! There is something freeing about having less in your wardrobe but wearing them more.

Glad you found some good finds.

Julie Q

La Vie Quotidienne said...

It sounds like a nice day with your Mother and you came home with such nice things. Success all around! Incidentally, I think it is wonderful that your Mother is still interested in her appearance, it no doubt leads to her vitality.

By the by...re your comments on my blog. My mother passed away a couple of years ago, she was over 100. I lived next door to her for many, many wonderful years. Although I converted her home into a rental I still think of it as my Mother's house. Like your mother she was always interested in her appearance and she was beautiful all of her life. I think both you and I have been very lucky.

bv said...

Dear hostess..my mother..92...loves her clothes. Now she is no longer able to go out to shop so we pour over her catalogs. No she needs nothing! But this 'hobby' keeps her mind activity. And a girls got to look good! Maybe not for all but wonderful for some. You are a lovely daughter.
BV

Tamera Beardsley said...

My dear … if we don't control our blog space … and what we want it to be … what is ever the purpose … we have a whole world for that! I for one RELISH your honesty! There are so many blogs out here … I ONLY visit blogs with truth … and honesty. Like yours.

I absolutely hear you … with a finger hovering above the publish button … I reread my post over and over … thinking if no one likes this … or comments… or even worse … ridicules my words … will it still be my truth … loved or hated … in my heart of hearts … will I stand by what I have written…. that is what I ask myself.

My favorite posts of yours … are these… that are real life. Your mother …. reminds me of mine … and where I learned my love of clothes. Your sharing your real life … gives credence to us all!

xoxo
Tamera

Shelley said...

How lovely you still have your mom and that she is still interested in clothes. I love reading, too. Son of War by Melvyn Bragg, which is quite good. I'm not thrifting as much as I once did, mainly because there isn't much I need. Also because I hope to sew more of my clothes. Missed your last post but went back and read it. I thought it was beautiful. I think we all lose our way at some time or another, modern life being what it is. (Then again, life in previous times has never been easy, either - I guess that's just life, eh?).

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I enjoyed that book...hope you feel better once you get into it!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The thing that is upsetting is that Mother is fretting about all kinds of things lately...I am trying to be there for her more often. It is difficult to watch when they start to backslide.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I went over yesterday and replaced a bunch of burnt out bulbs!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I enjoyed her other books so I will add this title to my list. Thank you.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I'm savouring her writing...will read that after I read her next one.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

That book is a classic...I love how she paints a vivid picture with her words.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Oh I am sorry if I knew that she had passed away I must have forgotten..please forgive me.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

My sister and I take her out for walks and to the theatre. For tea and for lunches and dinners...this hobby is one that will not be changed! She is a fiercely strong willed woman and we tread lightly in this area!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you for always being kind and honest Tamera. I feel like we are kindred spirits. I'm quite certain we'd be friends if we lived closer!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Oh how clever of you to be able to sew...I can only imagine what fun it would be to design and create something and then be able to wear it. My home ec days are far behind me and they were fraught with "bubble darts" and crooked zippers!

Duchesse said...

Oh believe me, I understand that! Your company is likely the main attraction and all else is the excuse to enjoy it. I used to find my mother waiting for me with her purse on her lap!

Lori said...

What a coincidence I just finished The Secret History last night. I just loved it. I picked up Goldfinch over the weekend but have now started A Winter's Tale by Mark Halperin. The movie is to be released on Valentine's Day so I wanted to read it beforehand.

Anonymous said...

I know she appreciated that. With my folks, I have to sometimes just "drop in for a visit" to see what needs doing (they never ask). And they live on the next street!

Carol O.