Thursday, December 22, 2011

Shampoo Spa...a tonic.

A lazy start found me sipping tea in bed
the sun streaming in through the windows
with no definite plans...

What luxury!

It's been awhile since I have indulged in a professional facial and I thought my complexion looked liked it needed an intervention.
I got out my home spa potions and gave myself the royal treatment.


Microdermabrasion scrub which is gentle and safe enough to use on rosacea.
Moisten skin first
 portion out a small amount using a light hand
 move in small circular motions all over the face 
and don't forget the lips.

Rinse well and gently pat dry.

Mix Burt's Bees Mud Mask
with a little water and make a thick paste
sweep over face avoiding the eye area
let dry 5 -10 minutes and remove with warm water 
a dark coloured facecloth is needed for this job.
(as this has stained my white ones before!)

Mist face with water 
or use toner
then slather on moisturizer.
Do not apply make up 
let your skin breathe and glow in it's natural state.

The blood will have been flowing with this attention so you might be a wee bit pink.
Do not worry this is temporary and I have the same reaction when I go to the spa.


This scrub is divine!
(thank you DIL and son)
It sloughs off those unsightly bumps on elbows...
but I use it all over for a silky transformation.




Be careful to wipe out your tub or shower after 
as this product does make it slippery!

Now it's time to moisturize head to toe...
I love Shea body butter for it's luxe spa effect.

Wrap yourself up in a cozy robe...


The robe is not glamourous or chic
but it does have a soft plush feel and is so very cozy 
that I will wear it until it wears out!

It's a humble robe.


Hostess approved Aveda Shampure.

This wonderful shampoo washes my hair, all my cashmere and my brushes.


The middle brush is from Aveda 
the other two are so old I cannot remember where I got them...
I do know though that it pays to buy the best brushes that you can afford 
as they will last forever with the right care.
 (like great lingerie)


Clean
 free from product build up
now air drying in the sunshine.

Did you ever see that classic movie Shampoo?
I love it and will watch it anytime it's on TV.

Here's a montage of clips from the film...
there is some harsh language be warned before you go
  here!

Don't forget to keep hydrated throughout your in home spa day
pour sparkling water into a glass with a wedge or two of lemon for a refreshing drink.
Put it in a pretty glass, perhaps a champagne flute
your spa day should be a rich luxe experience 
one that soothes and rejuvenates
and restores.

During this busy festive season it makes sense to slow down.
Finding some time to pamper yourself 
which restores a sense of calm will go a long way toward
achieving a relaxed state of mind
which is much more attractive and chic than a tired and frazzled one!

Take care and be kind to yourself and to others.
Use gentle words and be mindful...


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the gentle reminder to take care of ourselves and the bodies we live in! My DD has rosacea, so I read about this problem with extra care.
Have a wonderful and relaxing day.
Picked the last of the roses from the garden yesterday - they may not open properly, but they sit in my grandmother's vase and nestle in with the decorations of the season.

Merry Christmas to you and yours. My gift from you was exactly what I needed - connection to a like-minded woman with a thirst for life.
Peg on the Island (Vancouver, as I did also live on our other Island, PEI)

Anastasia Schembri said...

Slowing down just a wee bit to enjoy some 'at home care' is definitely fab advice!! If only it were so easy to schedule some time for ourselves, it seems it only happens when we stumble upon it which is a shame but what you have outlined here is just perfect!!
I have heard rave reviews about the 'Fresh' body polish, I think it is time I try it too!

Hope you and your lovely family enjoy a very Merry Christmas and a joyous New Year my friend!!

mette said...

I have never done / gone through such a thorough spa. Wow.
How long does it take?
Had I the chance, I´d love to have a massage every now and then!

SusanG said...

What a beautiful, pampering day. Thank you for sharing it.

I've had my eye on Derma E's Microdermabrasion Scrub for a while. Your recommendation has decided it for me. It's on my shopping list!

Merry Christmas to you and your family -- and Pepper, of course!

Susan B said...

Your home spa day sounds absolutely wonderful, and I'm sure your lovely bathroom adds to the nurturing ambiance.

Lane said...

You must feel like a new woman. Slowing down and taking care of ourselves-- such good advice. The movie is such a hoot with the over-the-top 70's lifestyle. And Warren and Julie.

Anonymous said...

Shampoo is a great film and I also love Aveda's Shampure.
I can barely touch my skin without it going red so I can never go for a facial, I end up looking as if I've been burned.

Have a lovely Christmas!

Suburban Princess said...

I went to Shoppers today to find something for my sore, red hands...they suggested La Roche-Posay Lipikar Baume. I have put it on a few times since I got home and see the redness going down already! I looked for the stuff you got but they had never heard of it :O(

Adrienne Shubin said...

I feel more relaxed just reading this post!
Is that sea buckthorn still working for you? I saw capsules that you take like vitamins at Whole Foods yesterday. Is yours a pill or a lotion? You probably told us, but I can't remember.

You have a gorgeous bathroom, I mean *spa* room. xoxo, A

La Vie Quotidienne said...

What a great post...I somehow feel rejuvenated just after reading it. I plan on taking your suggestion and doing this, but, sigh ~ it will have to wait until after Christmas day.

I exfoliate regulary, but what does the mud mask do? I love Burt's Bees handcream.

msT said...

I'm planning an at home spa day over the christmas holidays. All that self pampering is good for the soul I say.

Lacey R said...

Loving your spa day and ideas. My next facial is booked for the first week in January, my last one was absolutely fab so I am looking forward to this next one!

Hope you get to relax and enjoy your holidays!

Duchesse said...

Warren Beatty at his most seductive! Why hostess, you surprise me yet again, delightfully.

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful. And, glamorous or not, I LOVE your robe. Where is it from? The Fresh Brown Sugar Scrub is fantastic - the absolute best, but yes, slippery. OK - going to do this in the next few days...thanks.

Annie ~ Red Roses and Crystal said...

After reading this delightful post I feel like I have visited the spa.
Thankyou for publishing the cranberry nut bark recipe, I made it yesterday and it is a hit with my family.
Wishing you and yours are beautiful Christmas Hostess and many thanks for being so supportive of my little blog.
xx

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

metscan- It can be as short or as long as you have time for...I like to take several hours and then put on some Yoga pants and a warm hoodie, cashmere socks and cocoon for the rest of the day:)

Adrienne- The Sea Buckthorn is a salve which you apply sparingly.

La Vie Quotidienne- The mud mask cleanses the pores as it tightens the skin.

Duchesse- I LOVE him in Shampoo!

Kathy Peck- The robe is from a chain store called Zellers which is owned by The Hudson's Bay Co. which I understand has been recently bought by Macy's. It's made of polar fleece.

Victoria said...

I am so intrigued by the Fresh Brown Sugar Body Polish. Thank you for sharing. I love the pretty pattern and color of your robe.