Thursday, August 4, 2011

Roman Holiday....

I do so love the romantic movie Roman Holiday.
Dashing Gregory Peck and the exquisite Audrey Hepburn in her American debut performance.
The movie was made in 1953 two years before I was born and stands the test of time.
I love to watch it, and usually see it once every year.
If you have not seen it you might enjoy looking and listening here.

It's hot and sunny here and the shopping needs to be done.
I have my market basket, sunglasses and a new silk scarf...
feeling very much like I'd love to be on holiday in Roma....





I found this vintage silk hand rolled scarf in a thrift shop
and after touching the fabric
eyeing the stitching
and opening it up to reveal the intricate design
I knew it would need to come home with me.

Hermes you have some serious competition!

This colour palette will work well with denim and greys
and none of my Hermes scarves are in this colour range.
Plus an added bonus was that it was under $10!
not the $400 that I usually spend at the Hermes Boutique.

I have no idea who the designer is...
if you recognize it perhaps you would be kind enough to advise me.
Is the signature Constantino?
I am not too sure...

All this talk of Italy has made me think of pasta!

For dinner I am preparing a simple sauce made with San Marzano DOC tomatoes,
Only grown in and around Mount Vesuvius,
(sweeter and tastier than most tomatoes because they are grown in that volcanic ashy soil)
spicy Italian sausage sauteed with garlic and onions,
oregano
salt and pepper
simmered for an hour.
Yum! 
The Humble Bungalow is scented highly with this tasty goodness.
All I need to do is cook the pasta and dinner's done.
Easy Peasy.

                                                            
                                                                           Ciao for now!

10 comments:

LPC said...

Now I imagine you tootling around on a bicycle with that basket:).

Adrienne Shubin said...

That is a gorgeous scarf. Does it say anywhere where it's made? Must be Italian....like your dinner :) xo

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

LPC- Ah yes...perhaps a Vespa!

Adrienne- It says "Roma"....so I assume it is Italian.

sparrowsandsparkles said...

Lovely! We are recently back from Rome and I had my children watch Roman Holiday before we went. We had incredible views of Mt. Vesuvius from our hotel in Castellammare di Stabia! I'll be putting posts together soon :)

Judith said...

Mmmmm Gregory Peck liked him best in the film To Kill Mockingbird...not a great fan of Audrey but the film and the city were divine.

What bargains you find and the scarf suits your colours.Ida

Sunday Taylor said...

I adore Audrey Hepburn and "Roman Holiday." That movie made her a movie star and won her the academy award. Thanks for a little dose of Italy first thing in the morning here in Los Angeles. I have been watching a very stylish Italian mystery series on Masterpiece Mystery called "Zen Vendetta" starring the handsome English actor Rufus Sewell. You might enjoy it because it is set in Rome.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Beautiful scarf...I love the colors!

Sue/the view from great island said...

I've found some great scarves in thrift shops, they always seem to get overlooked. Yours is beautiful!

JMW said...

Love that scarf and the straw tote - beautiful!

Susan Tiner said...

That's one of my favorite movies.

You've really got an eye for gorgeous scarves.