Thursday, March 31, 2011

Adapting a recipe...and Dabbling in paint

Catering to a crowd of calorie conscious women is tricky.
It necessitates offering smaller sizes so as to allow for sampling of a variety of foods and ultimately reduces waste.

How to do this?
Adapt recipes and their cooking times.

For an afternoon tea introducing a new baby...
I think it's easiest to keep things relaxed and simple...
Two teachers have newborns and the staff are putting together a group shower in the Library.

We are serving small scones with jam and clotted cream, a fruit platter, small sandwiches, a veggie tray and decorated mini cupcakes.
A variety of teas, black, green, herbal and milk, lemon wedges, sugar and honey.
It's always a good idea to have a large pitcher of water with sliced lemons on the table as well.

Place everything on a table laid with a pretty tablecloth...don't forget the flowers...they needn't be expensive just a cheery bunch in a simple vase.
You'll also need plates, cups and saucers and some pretty napkins...

Scones in miniature...

Best of Best of Bridge Cookbook
Cranberry Scone Recipe
I substituted blueberries for the cranberries...


Generously floured counter


I used a small jar as the "cutter" because all my others were too large
necessity is the mother of invention!


I had to use 2 pizza pans as well
so many scones so few cookie sheets!


Golden and ready to serve
I watched the oven very carefully so as not to burn these
instead of the 15-20 minutes that the recipe stated
I only needed 10 minutes.

I have packed them up in a large Tupperware container and they are good to go.

After all this baking I made a pot of Chai Tea
which is new to me and I love it.
I like it with milk and one sugar cube
I do not use sugar in other teas
just this one.
YUM!


I decided to play around with paint...
dabble if you will.


I have felt the urge ever since my girlfriend D. bought the Poppie painting...
just a little nudge was all it took
and so it goes...



Pepper was so funny when I was painting
She was leaping around, scratching and exploring all the corners
of
"my studio"
which is also 
"Pepper's Room"
she was a great companion!

I enjoyed her antics
she is such a great kitten
Pets really make a difference
do you agree?

I am also curious...
what hobbies do you engage in?

9 comments:

La Vie Quotidienne said...

The scones looks delicious and your painting is wonderful...love the freedom and style of your work ~ so nice.

the gardener's cottage said...

hi leslie,

i'd love one of those scones to go with my morning tea that i'm drinking right now.

my hobbies are skiing, tennis, hiking, gardening, cleaning and organizing, cooking.

i think that does it.

xo

Paula said...

Right now my kitchen is my biggest hobby. This week I made some selfmade chocolate bonbons, filled with peanut butter. Peanut butter treats are hardly available in Austria. The nurses in the hospital who look after my mum thought this is my profession. Ok, silicone forms for sweets turn everyone into a pro in the kitchen!
And then there is Make Up, yes, I would say Make Up is a hobby of mine, too. Washing brushes, going through the stash, comparing colours, using gel eyeliner ... very close to painting. :-)
Another evidence that proves Make Up is a hobby of mine is the amount of money I can spend on it. The same for the kitchen/foods.

Paula said...

Must not end before saying: 2 scones and a cup of tea sounds like the perfect afternoon.
I wish I had a cat. Unfortunately I still posess my parent's vintage velvet sofas and value them above owning a cat.

LPC said...

Flowers are key:).

Anonymous said...

I love to bake. I've been wanting to try to make scones, yours look good!

mette said...

Oh Hostess, you make this all sound so enjoyable and easy. A sigh ; ) !

annie@mostlovelythings said...

I love your painting and I would love one of those scones!

Beatriz Fortes said...

I admire people who can really bake. I can follow a simple recipe pretty well and even make minor adjustments, but you make it sound easy! My scones just look sad.

I love making things with my hands. Not fiber arts (I get tangled in them), but woodworking, metalworking, stone shaping and things like that. I also read more than I should and listen to more opera than the neighbours would like.