Monday, September 6, 2010

Bounty in the Humble Bungalow

Our raised vegetable beds have been a huge improvement in the way that we grow our food.
It has been a delicious and rewarding success.
I have been so pleased that I am asking Mr. HB to put in a third one next spring.
We had a fine feast using our home grown vegetables...
Cherry tomatoes
drizzled with olive oil 
sea salt 


and fresh ground pepper


ready for the grill.


Onions at the left, zucchini top right and cherry tomatoes bottom right.


Baby new potatoes boiled and then topped with butter and dill.
(I prefer to use fresh mint as it has a sweet tang that goes so well with potatoes)


Rhubarb pie, 
second crop of rhubarb
the crust was a bit cracked 
but gladly the taste was not affected!


I have had a bumper crop of Sweet Peas...their scent is so divine.
I have decided that what keeps me happy is to have fresh flowers in my home.

I can have dust bunnies, and my floors in need of sweeping
the dishes may be dirty and the laundry hamper overfull
and yet...
if I have some blooms in a vase
I am able to put things in perspective.

I also love
a freshly brewed cup of tea


 it's a ritual that soothes
time to sit for a bit and sip
slowly
savouring
the fragrance of the blend
the heat
as it warms
and restores.


I do treat myself to a proper cup and saucer
when I feel that I need some TLC
a simple cup of tea when served in a beautiful cup
tastes better.

Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the world earth revolves - slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future.  ~Thich Nat Hahn


I plan to write more on the simple things in life 
of which I partake 
and the joy that they bring to me in my daily round.

Hope that you enjoyed Labour Day
it's pouring rain here
and cold so we have put the furnace on!

10 comments:

Suburban Princess said...

Your veggies look wonderful!

It is chillychilly here today but sposed to be 30 tomorrow. I cant handle these up and down temps!

Hope you had a great weekend!

Rebecca said...

Your sweet peas just might be the most precious bouquet I've seen - ever!

Annie ~ Red Roses and Crystal said...

This is a lovely post.
I'm raising my teacup to you now!
xx

Susan B said...

Your veggies look gorgeously delicious!

Anonymous said...

Dear Hostess, What a delightful posting in which your words are illustrated with the most tempting of images. The cherry tomatoes, indeed the whole lunch/dinner, look to be absolutely delicious. The point which you make about tea, or coffee, from a teacup is absolutely true. I loathe mugs and avoid them wherever and whenever possible. Sweet peas are always perfect for simple flowers for the house.

Faux Fuchsia said...

Love the teacup, the tomatoes, the pie and the flowers-excellent post as per usual. x

Jeanne Henriques said...

The simple things in life are the best things in life!
I say write away...I look forward to reading more :)

Jeanne :)

mette said...

There is no hidden meat/fish, right? If not, your servings look great. I could eat a lot of everything : )

Beth Dunn said...

The tomatoes look awesome!
xoxo
SC

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you all for your comments...mette there was a small piece of meat for Mr. HB! on the side of the grill and how astute of you to pick up on it!

School is back in session so my blog might suffer a wee bit....apologies all round.