Monday, February 22, 2010

Gardening in gloves, sans pearls.




Dead heading required!


I have been known to garden in pearls and a dress....this is usually when picking roses for a bouquet or enjoying a walkabout before going to or hostessing an event...peeking for the odd weed that might need to be plucked.
Yesterday, it was not a pearl day, I was in full on assault gear, waging a war on the weeds, aka "guerilla gardening" in the Humble Bungalow Garden. Gloves, garden clogs, sunscreen...weeds had taken over and there was a huge amount of debris to be cleared...it took over 4 hours to trim the edges, weed and rake and tidy up for spring.
Part of my routine is savouring how the garden looks after the blitz.
Euphorbia

Euphorbia bracts

Hellebore

Hellebore

Yellow blooms are so cheerful!

Primulas

Crocus

Birds of a feather....

Hellebore bloom

English Primroses




Snowdrops
Bowling ball and shell...a bit of whimsy.

It is early February and we are 3 weeks ahead in the blooming schedule as the weather has been so mild. It won't be long before I will be picking flowers to bring inside the Bungalow. 
One of my favorite things to do is create lavish bouquets using a variety of foliage and flowers and pop them into vintage vases and conatiners and place them around the house.
I can hardly wait!

What are you waiting for?

5 comments:

Suburban Princess said...

I am waiting for the temps to get to positive numbers lol! I am having some serious envy right now!

the gardener's cottage said...

Hi Leslie,

Your garden is so beautiful! I love the snowdrops, so delicate. Our old home had those and I miss them.

Gardening gear is another thing we have in common. You keep giving me great ideas for posts! I have a gardening uniform that I wear. A long sleeved cotton white shirt, khaki shorts or a skirt and tall black rubber riding boots, used to muck stalls. Of course a hat and gloves. I stay protected from the sun and thorns this way.

I can't wait to see pics of your garden if full bloom!

~janet

Susan B said...

What a gorgeous garden!

Mine is sadly in need of attention.

Winchester Manor said...

Looks like you're off to a wonderful start in your garden. Your photos are lovely and you have me yearning to get my garden prepared...maybe I'll try it with a lovely dress and pearls!

Thank you for your visit and lovely comment!

Big Hugs,
Karyn

La Belette Rouge said...

Those are all in your garden now? Beautiful! And, I love that you garden in pearls. Tres chic!