Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Skincare, what works for me...what works for you?

While I was standing in line at the market I noticed that almost every magazine had an article on skincare. Skincare is big business...many many millions, I really do not know, it is dizzying for me to even consider!
There are so many products out there that it gets very confusing. There are potions and creams for day and for night, and they come with promises for everything from smoother, younger, more radiant, firmer, less pigmented, less wrinkled....and so on....you've heard it, seen the advertisements, possibly comtemplated even trying them.  But do they live up to their promises?
I wonder how many steps the average woman takes in caring for her skin...how many products does she use before she gets out the door? I am not suggesting to ignore the skin, nothing could be farther than the truth. I am a fan of taking care and pampering the skin, as it is right out there for all to see.
My skincare routine involves getting professional facials every 2 or 3 months and the rest of the time I do it myself here at home.
I have delicate skin and have a tendency to flush. I also am concerned about the toxins the manufacturers add to products and have come to the conclusion that there is an element of risk with just about any product on the market. The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics has a large database if you care to research what you are currently using. If you are like me, it was an eye opener!

I try to keep my routine fairly simple and the products to a minimum as I like to be able to do my morning face in 10 minutes or less.
I use VIVA face wash from the Health food store, Thayers alcohol free toner which has witch hazel, rose petals and aloe vera gently all over with a cotton pad (my slpurge are Shiseido cosmetic pads) followed by Dr. Hauschka's rose cream.  I need the heavier rose cream, they make a light version. (Did I mention my aging skin is VERY dry?)
I then sweep a small amount of Badger sunscreen on top (which I have been advised to do for anti-aging purposes) before applying my Dr. Hauschka foundation which is light and adds a hint of tint blending easily to even out some of my redness.
I use Dr. Hauschka eye shadow #4, curl my lashes, apply Lancome Definicils mascara.
I use Burts Bees lip balm follwed by Dr. Hauschka lipstick #7.

My favourite products are not the lowest on the website safety ratings, neither are they the highest.

For removing my eye makeup I use Neutrogena eye make up remover and every other day I use Physiodermie Bio-Gommage which is a gentle exfoliator that keeps my skin looking fresh and feeling soft. Scrubs are too harsh for me and glycolic peels have resulted in a nasty rash.
I have tried the rhythmic Dr. H ampoules which are pricey and I am not convinced of their effectiveness...but I am willing to try again and reassess.



What products work for you?
What can you not live without....mascara, lip balm, moisturizer...?
Do you splurge, or are you frugal?




6 comments:

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Love reading about other people's routines... I get a facial every six weeks and change my products probably once a year (so my skin doesn't get too used to them). Right now I am using Philosophy's Purity Face wash and Hope in a Jar moisturizer.

Funny about Money said...

Gosh, this is ambitious!

My skin-care routine: Olive oil and a warm washcloth (removes just about any make-up you can smear on, soothes your skin while it cleans). Drugstore moisturizer (Cetaphil). Drugstore makeup (L'Oreal foundation, eyeshadow, and mascara; Maybelline eyebrow stuff; cruelty-free, supposedly toxin-free lipstick from Whole Foods).

It's pretty minimalist. In my entire lifetime, I've never been able to afford a facial. And probably would feel uncomfortable about the sanitation of a beauty parlor, given what I used to see during the time that I wore acrylic nails.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Daily C- I have not heard of Hope in a Jar but that has promise!

Funny About Money- I have heard other women use olive oil with great results, Cetaphil is a favorite of doctors and has a great reputation. As to the facials, I go to a friend who has won awards for her work and it is in a world class hotel with a following so I have no fear whatsoever.
I'm going to pop over and visit your blog.

Frugal Scholar said...

Hmmm. Left a comment yesterday and it is nowhere to be seen. Will try again. I learned a lot from Paula Begoun--her products are great as are her recommendations of products from other lines.
Cetaphil wash, Cerave lotion. Most important is SUNSCREEN (see Paula for crucial ingredients. I wrote on this also).

Makeup--whatever is free or near free at CVS and Walgreens. I try to remember to put some on.

What I learned from Paula--and as befits my nom de plume--is that there are no secret ingredients and there are excellent products at all price levels. So natch, I go for the cheapest.

the gardener's cottage said...

Well lets see, I'm an esthetician for Aveda. Aveda does not score well at the Skin Deep website. This disturbed me very much. I know that Aveda is in the process of reformulating many of their very popular products. My guess is that some of the chemicals used are needed in order for the product to deliver results. Aging skin is tricky. Women want results! I know I do. I have been using Aveda's Green Science line
now for 2 years and the results have been amazing, and I don't say that lightly. I'm 52 and many lines have softened so that they almost don't exist. My redness is way down and the texture much smoother. It would take a lot to get me to quit using this line. I get a facial every 3 to 4 weeks. And the public should be concerned about sanitary issues. Get to know your esthetician and spa. Is the spa clean, the bathroom impeccable? It better be or I wouldn't go there. Sunscreen and a hat are by far the best thing you can do for your skin. Sorry I went on for so long!

~janet

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Janet- Your opinion is very important as you are in the field and know first hand how these products perform. I would love to have more frequent facials but they are expensive $$$....what Green Science product would you recommend for wrinkle reduction? Maybe you would consider a blog post about your experiences in Aveda and skincare?
I use Aveda hair products as I go to an Aveda salon for my cuts and highlights and I love the Shampure scent and Brilliant pomade and gel.